Some behaviors that grandchildren engage in can hurt the child and others around them. Grandparents should seek professional help if their grandchild exhibits any of the following behaviors:
• Hurting or talking of hurting oneself,other people,or animals
• Withdrawing for a long time and showing no interest in activities and other people
• Not eating for several days at a time
• Sleeping too much
• Too much interest in violent materials
• Major problems in school or day care
• Setting fires or talking about setting fires
• Acting out sexually
• Threatening other people
• Lying or stealing
These behaviors may be a child's way of asking for help.They may be signs that a child has a problem that needs to be treated and that won't just go away on its own.
Was this article helpful?