1. Allow the child to participate independently in age-appropriate activities offering support and "can-do" encouragement.
2. Allow the child to learn from mistakes and react with empathy and support when the consequences are experienced.
3. Encourage the child to solve problems alone or with minimal guidance only when requested.
4. Utilize techniques of positive discipline to facilitate responsible behavior and independent thinking.
5. Offer unconditional love for the child that is not based on behavior or accomplishments.
6. Encourage the child to plan for the future by setting long- and short-term personal goals.
Was this article helpful?