1. Demonstrate a pattern of being unaware, uninvolved, and/or uninterested in the child's friends, social activities, and peer group influences and expectations.
2. Lack awareness of and empathy for the peer problems experienced by the child at school and in the neighborhood and community.
3. Model inappropriate, antisocial, dishonest, or disrespectful social interactions for the child.
4. Use harsh, aggressive, and intimidating forms of discipline.
5. Spend limited time enjoying and socializing with the child due to excessive work, personal activities, or lack of interest.
6. Exhibit an emotional distance and withdrawal from the child due to a chronic physical or psychological disorder.
7. Put excessive pressure on the child to excel socially, academically, athletically, or artistically.
8. Child lacks self-esteem and confidence in own ability to fit in or be socially successful.
9. Child exhibits immature social skills and a lack of polite, expected social behavior.
10. Child demonstrates an inability to form close, positive relationships with peers in the school or community.
Was this article helpful?