1. Fail to set reasonable limits and expectations for their child's dating and social activities.
2. Lack strategies to educate the child about protection from sexually transmitted diseases, AIDS, sex abuse, date rape, and the negative emotional consequences of irresponsible sexual activity.
3. Acknowledge discomfort with discussing the various aspects of sexual activity with the child.
4. Display an ignorance of and an unwillingness to learn about the current trends and patterns of sexual activity in today's youth.
5. Model poor personal choices and sexually irresponsible behavior.
6. Verbalize a deep concern about unplanned adolescent pregnancy and out-of-wedlock childbearing.
7. Verbalize strong belief in an abstinence only approach to adolescent sexuality.
8. Express rigid and judgmental reactions to the child's questions and concerns about sexual responsibility.
9. Child demonstrates excessive interest in sex and sexuality at a pre-puberty level of maturity.
10. Child engages in promiscuous sexual activity.
11. Child's sexual activity without the use of protection has resulted in an unplanned pregnancy.
12. Child's sexual activity without the use of protection has resulted in contraction of a sexually transmitted disease.
Was this article helpful?