Action Steps

, continued

• After cleaning up mold, using a high efficiency (HEPA) vacuum or air cleaner may help to get rid of mold spores in the air. You may be able to borrow a HEPA vacuum. Call your local or state health department to ask.

• If you find an area of mold greater than 15 square feet, it's best to hire a professional to get rid of it. (You can find them listed in the telephone book under "Fire and Water Damage Restoration.") Remove small children, people with long-term illnesses, and older people from the home until it is cleaned up.

• Clean up mold with a mix of laundry detergent or dishwashing soap and water OR chlorine bleach with soap and water. Do not mix chlorine bleach with any product that contains ammonia.

• If you think mold may be causing you or your family health problems, see a doctor.

Was this article helpful?

0 0

Post a comment