Action Steps

, continued

• Put carbon monoxide alarms near each sleeping area and on each floor of your home. (Older models are called carbon monoxide detectors.) You can find them at your local hardware, discount, outlet, or building supply store for $20 to $50.

• Never use the kitchen stove or oven to heat your home.

• Always turn on the kitchen exhaust fan when using the oven.

• Have the kitchen stove fixed before using it if the flames burn orange or yellow.

• Don't use a smoking fireplace until you fix the problem.

Carbon Monoxide Alarms

Carbon monoxide (CO) alarms will help protect you and your family from sickness or death. A good alarm will make a loud noise when CO levels become too high. There are plug-in and battery operated alarms. Look on the package to make sure the alarm is okayed by a qualified testing laboratory, such as Underwriters Laboratory (UL). Check the batteries on a battery-operated alarm every six months. Every home should have at least one alarm. It's best to put one near each sleeping area and on each level of the home. Carbon monoxide alarms do not take the place of checking and taking good care of your home's furnace, fireplace, or space heaters.

If someone in your family shows signs of CO poisoning or if a CO alarm goes off:

• Get outside right away.

Call 9-1-1 or your local emergency number from a phone outside your home.

See a doctor or nurse right away. See a doctor or nurse even if you feel better after breathing fresh air. They can check your blood and breath for CO and tell if you need more medical care.

Treat all alarm soundings as an emergency. Never ignore an alarm sounding!

Have your home checked out by a qualified heating contractor. You can find one in the telephone book.

Don't go back home until all problems have been fixed.

Was this article helpful?

0 0

Post a comment